Thursday 24 May 2012

Emeli Sande's "Our Version of Events": A Review


When I picture the perfect 'yummy mummy' in my head she is always completely up to date with popular culture, including music.  She listens to the coolest singers and can happily converse with a 15 year old on the subject.

When I became a mum I began to neglect music, so when Mumsnet asked me if I'd be interested in reviewing a new album by Emeli Sande I jumped at the chance.  Let's be honest here; I'd never heard of her.  I know I know, that's really poor isn't it.  Some great artists have sung her songs including Tinie Tempah, Cheryl Cole and The Saturdays.  She was writing songs when she was 11 years old, and turned down a record deal in her teens, preferring instead to finish her exams and begin to study medicine.  This is not just an up and coming singer; this is a songwriter that means business.

The album, Our Version of Events, is a well written selection of songs.  I'd pop the CD in the machine and have those tunes happily rolling away whilst I got on with chores, not unpleasant, but not necessarily stopping me in my tracks or forcing my feet to tap.

"Where I Sleep" is my favourite.  In the interests of being useful I tried to understand why I prefer it to others.  I think because the chorus is a quick to learn, set of lyrics that resonated with me; "And I'm sure of nothing that I know. Except this is us, and this is love, and this is where I'm home".  It reminds me of how lucky I am. 

There were other tunes that I felt would be more suited to an angst-ridden teenager, or indeed anyone in the midst of trying to find their 'one true love'.  I can imagine that you could happily wallow with this album on.  Get the wine and ice cream out, chocolate aplenty.

Is it for me?  I don't think I would have bought this myself.  It's music to a stage of life that I've passed, and I personally prefer my tunes to be a little less serious, a little more fun, with a smile and a wink. 

But that's just my opinion.  And I'm not saying there isn't some catchy stuff on there that I keep finding myself singing ("Next to me-e-e-e-e, woo hoo ooo")

I'm really pleased to have been able to listen to some of 'todays' music.  And I'll be trying to turn on that radio more often.  If this is an example of the quality of music around today, then I have a lot of great music to discover! Maybe I'll be one step closer to my imagined idea of a yummy mummy!

Find out more about Emile at www.emelisande.com


***

I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Network, a group of parent bloggers picked by Mumsnet to review products, services, events and brands.  I have not paid for the product or to attend an event.  I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity.

4 comments:

  1. Emeli is on my iPad and have to say not being into music myself its very rare I actually want to buy an album, I buy lots for the children but notme....I love her music, full belt when I'm cleaning or if I ever get a quiet 5 minutes in the car also :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Albums are tricky. You only ever seem to gte 2 or 3 great songs and the rest are usually mediocre. Emeli's are good; they are just not really for me! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love Emeli Sande - probably more so now than when I did when I first saw and heard her. I think her voice is tremendous and her songwriting is excellent.

    I saw her perform at the Olympics Closing Ceremony and she was fantastic, singing Read All About It Part 3 - my favourite song from the album.

    The album itself, I got on a whim. But god I am thankful I did. She has a couple of excellent songs (Read All About It Part 3, Next To Me, Heaven), a couple of good songs ( Where I Sleep, Daddy, and My Kind Of Love. ) The others are listenable - good for housework and easy listening.

    Loved your review and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Emma. I appreciate your comments. I'm glad you like it. :-)

      Delete

Hi there! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Share with StumbleUpon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...